Hi, How Can We Help You?


May 8, 2024

Can a Nigerian HND(Higher National Diploma) Holder Study in Canada? Read!!!

Can an HND holder in Nigeria gain admission to study masters in Canada?

Yes, it is possible for an HND (Higher National Diploma) holder from Nigeria to gain admission to study in Canada. However, the specific requirements for admission vary depending on the university and the program of study.

In general, to be considered for admission to a master’s program in Canada, you will typically need:

  1. A bachelor’s degree: Most master’s programs in Canada require applicants to have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution.
  2. Academic transcripts: You will need to provide official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended.
  3. English language proficiency: If English is not your first language, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in English by taking a language proficiency test such as TOEFL or IELTS. However, most schools in Canada waive TOEFL and IELTS for Nigerians Being that most Nigerian Institutions use English For communication and instruction
  4. Letters of recommendation: You may be required to provide letters of recommendation from professors or employers.
  5. Statement of purpose: You will need to provide a statement of purpose explaining why you want to pursue a master’s degree and how it fits into your career goals.

It’s important to note that admission requirements vary by institution and program, so it’s recommended that you research the specific admission requirements for the universities and programs you are interested in applying to

Which schools in Canada accept HND from Nigerian schools?

The acceptance of HND (Higher National Diploma) from Nigerian schools by institutions and programs in Canada differs. HND is an equivalent to Associate Degree in Canada. ND/HND are offered by polytechnics and mono-technics.

If you intend to go for a master’s with your HND it’s very difficult but not completely impossible. the best route is to apply for either of Post-Graduate Diploma or Post Degree Certificate or an Advanced Certificate in Canada after you do this you can combine it with your HND and apply for masters in Canada.

There is also another route you can go through a degree program but here is the process you will have to do the same course as you had in your HND if, for example, you read Mechanical Engineering you will have to choose a degree course in line with mechanical engineering then the school will go through your transcripts

  1. Conestoga College
  2. George Brown College
  3. Humber College
  4. Lambton College
  5. Niagara College
  6. Seneca College
  7. University of Manitoba
  8. University of Windsor
  9. Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
  10. University of Saskatchewan